At the start of lockdown I was finding it hard to think of ideas to entertain my 10 month old. Everything online seemed too advanced or simple...
So I started my own list. She's not quite up to all of these but the more we practice, the more Rox seems to grasp the idea. Her arm motor skills are developing, but she's well on with talking and responding to sound and visuals. Feel free to steal these ideas!
1. Painting with mashed potato.
Safe if they (when they) eat the 'paint'. I dyed ours with beetroot, blue food dye and turmeric. Hello, first artwork!
2. "Where's the baby?"
Stand in another room and call to your baby to see how she responds. I do this a lot when I'm going upstairs to collect her from a (rare!) nap.
3. Press the doorbell and watch her catch on that doing so creates a sound.
4. New toys - I'm not into masses of plastic or spending a fortune, so we've been experimenting with new things...
- wooden spoon - a winner!
- pots and pan lids
- pebbles and sand (for a few months time)
- double cream pots for stacking and playing 'hide the rattle'
- paddling pool
- a busy board (made by me, so proud!)
5. New songs - relive your childhood with some nursery rhymes! Dance in front of your baby to old.classics! Sing along with the radio in an opera voice!
6. "Chumi TV" - that's what we call 'watchibg the dog play'. Chumi is a lively collie and knows to run away when Rox goes for her ears...
7. Start the learning for using cutlery - plastic, of course. That'll keep you busy with the mess and the fun of a new thing baby can master. Be patient!
What new ideas have you had for your baby while you can't socialise?